StormSafe™ Cartridge Vaults are ideal for small drainage areas that require stormwater treatment beyond simple gross pollutants and trash removal. By utilizing the same proven filter technology from the StormBasin™ product line, the StormSafe™ Cartridge Vault can reduce concentrations of targeted stormwater pollutants in a cost effective manner. This flexibility in design makes the StormSafe™ Cartridge Vault ideal for small parking areas, storage areas that have high concentrations of heavy metals, or maintenance facilities that generate oils and grease loads. The StormSafe™ Cartridge Vault is a good choice wherever treatment flow rates are typically 3 cubic feet/s or less.
Relative to other vault systems the StormSafe™ Cartridge Vault is designed to provide a highly effective treatment solution within a small foot print.
Inside the StormSafe™ Cartridge Vault there are 3 discrete chambers:
- Chamber 1: Pretreatment Chamber – Untreated water enters the StormSafe™ here
- Chamber 2: Filtration Chamber – Contains the filter cartridges.
- Chamber 3: Outlet Chamber – Located behind the Pretreatment and Filtration chambers, the Outlet chamber contains the outfall pipe
Stormwater runoff enters the vault through the Pretreatment chamber where the heaviest sediments begin to separate from the water and drop to the bottom of the chamber. As the runoff fills the chamber the water level rises upwards towards a rectangular opening or weir passing through the wall to the Filtration Chamber.
To protect the Filtration Chamber from the floating trash, debris and, oils/grease in the runoff, the opening/weir connecting the Pretreatment to the Filtration Chamber is equipped with a full length hood (See location 4 in the drawing). This submerged hood, acts like an oil/water separator trapping floating material in the Pretreatment Chamber. This simple process protects the filter cartridges extending their service life and allowing optimum treatment flow rates.
Water leaving the Pretreatment Chamber enters the Filtration Chamber where it is filtered through cartridges held in a permanently installed mounting plate.
The treated water leaving the cartridges drops down below the mounting plate and flows directly into the Outlet Chamber where it exits the treatment process.
Internal Emergency Bypass: If the inlet hood between the Pretreatment Chamber and the Filtration Chamber becomes blocked or if the total flow rate to the StormSafe™ exceeds the system treatment capacity, water can flow over the internal dividing walls and into the Outlet Chamber thereby providing additional hydraulic capacity.
Fabco Filter Cartridge
Our filter cartridges are designed to provide effective treatment of stormwater while maintaining high flow rates throughout the life of the cartridge. Filter cartridges are available in various configurations allowing you to fine tune performance in terms of sediments and debris, heavy metals, hydrocarbons/toxic chemicals, pathogens/bacteria and nutrients. The lightweight filter cartridge comes fully assembled and snaps securely in place with a quick twist. The modular cartridge design allows quick and easy replacement while containing the spent material for safe transport and disposal.
Each Fabco filter cartridge is composed of a standard pre-filter section, and a main filter chamber which can be configured to target specific pollutants.
The pre-filter is manufactured using FABGUARD™ antimicrobial treated open cell Polymer foam pads. The coarse open cell foam acts as a mechanical pre-filter for the cartridge restricting coarse sediments, trash and debris while allowing mostly water to flow through. Stormwater passing through the complex cellular structure contacts the antimicrobial treated internal walls substantially reducing the growth and passage of pathogens through the cartridge.
Proprietary Treatment Technologies:
Fabco offers 5 filtration configurations (Standard, HV metals, Pathogens/bacteria, HV Hydrocarbons, Nutrients) using a combination of the following treatment technologies:
- FABMAX™: A chemical treatment applied to our open cell polymer foam filtering media. It is hydrophobic and instantly bonds to any hydrocarbons in the water matrix.
- FABSORB™: An oil absorbent fabric material for treating both free and emulsified oils, greases and other hydrocarbon-based compounds. This non-woven, filter can absorb 10 to 20 times its own weight in oil, greases and hydrocarbons.
- FABLITE™: A unique, natural mineral compound that is effective in removing heavy metals as well as low levels of dissolved pollutants like hydrocarbons and other toxic chemicals.
- FABPHOS™: A proprietary filtering media that treats soluble, ortho-phosphates in stormwater runoff. FABPHOS also is effective in reducing nitrogen compounds thus assisting stormwater managers meet the >40% N reduction required by many states.
- FABGUARD™: Antimicrobial Shield is a chemical technology that when applied to our foam material makes it antimicrobially active. The FABGUARD Antimicrobial Shield becomes an integral part of the material and will not wash out, or leach into the environment. Microorganisms that subsequently contact the material are neutralized.
Currently Fabco Industries offers a variety of filter cartridge types which can be used interchangeably in our StormBasin™ and StormPod™ product lines. Additionally, the compact, versatile design of the filter cartridge is easily adaptable to larger, underground, stormwater treatment vaults allowing the Fabco technology to be used in applications that require greater flow rates and larger treatment capacities.